A government spokeswoman told the same news conference that it was too early to decide on changes to Germany's refugee policy before the results of the investigation into the attack were published.
"The acts of the last days and weeks do not show a uniform picture," said Ulrike Demmer. "Most terrorists who carried out attacks in Europe over the last months were not refugees."
German newspaper Die Welt quoted Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann earlier as saying: "My personal view is that it is unfortunately very likely that a real Islamist suicide attack took place here."
Last night’s incident, on top of three other attacks since 18 July that left ten people dead and 34 injured, will fuel growing public unease about Chancellor Angela Merkel's open-door refugee policy.
More than a million migrants have entered Germany over the past year, many fleeing war in Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq.
Police said three of the 12 wounded were in a serious condition after the attack in Ansbach, a town of 40,000 people southwest of Nuremberg that has a US Army base.
The dead man had been in treatment after twice before trying to kill himself, though yesterday’s explosion was more than just "a pure suicide attempt", Mr Herrmann told Reuters.
An Islamist link could not be ruled out, he told reporters earlier.
"It's terrible ... that someone who came into our country to seek shelter has now committed such a heinous act and injured a large number of people who are at home here, some seriously," Mr Herrmann told a news conference this morning.
"It's a further, horrific attack that will increase the already growing security concerns of our citizens. We must do everything possible to prevent the spread of such violence in our country by people who came here to ask for asylum."
Mr Herrmann said the recent attacks raised serious questions about Germany's asylum law and security nationwide.
He planned to introduce measures at a meeting of Bavaria's conservative government tomorrow to strengthen police forces, in part by ensuring they have adequate equipment.
Mr Herrmann said the Syrian asylum seeker arrived in Germany two years ago and had been in trouble with local police repeatedly for drug-taking and other offences.
He said investigators had yet to determine the motive of the attacks.
"Because the rucksack and this bomb were packed with so many metal parts that could have killed and injured many more people, it cannot simply be considered a pure suicide attempt."
It was the second violent incident in Germany yesterday and the fourth in the past week, including the killing of nine people by an 18-year-old Iranian-German gunman in the Bavarian capital Munich on Friday.
Mr Herrmann said the man, whose identity has not yet been released, had been living in Ansbach for a year.
One US intelligence official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said investigators would focus on what the bomber was doing before he left Syria and why he was denied asylum.
US security sources said the bombing did not appear to be a well-planned operation and could well turn out to be the act of another mentally unstable individual.
Mr Herrmann said the man had been denied entry to the Ansbach Open music festival shortly before detonating the bomb outside a restaurant.
More than 2,000 people were evacuated from the festival after the explosion, police said.
Earlier yesterday, a 21-year-old Syrian refugee was arrested after killing a pregnant woman and wounding two people with a machete in the southwestern city of Reutlingen, near Stuttgart.
A week ago a 17-year-old youth who had sought asylum in Germany was shot dead by police after wounding five people with an axe near Wuerzburg, also in Bavaria.
He was initially thought to be Afghan but federal Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere has since said he may have been from Pakistan.
Police said neither yesterday’s machete attack nor Friday's shooting in Munich bore any sign of connections with the so-called Islamic State or other militant groups.
IS claimed responsibility for the Wuerzburgattack as well as the 14 July attack in the French Riviera city of Nice in which a Tunisian man drove a truck into Bastille Day crowds, killing 84 people.
Mr Herrmann said it was unclear if the man, who arrived in Germany two years ago and attempted suicide twice before, had planned to kill only himself or "take others with him into death".
It was the fourth violent incident in Germany in a week, including the killing of nine people by an 18-year-old Iranian-German gunman in Munich on Friday.